01 January 2007

a wish...

Yes, indeed it is a new year!

Last night was rather interesting! Most of the bars here (including Irish Pubs, gasp!) are closed here in Copenhagen on New Year’s Eve. It is too expensive to keep staff on hand for the evening due to the taxes, as well as most do not want to work this particular evening. Needless to say, it was a challenge for me and my troupe to find a spot. We tried in our local neighbourhood, and everything was closed. Headed into CPH and it was tough. We did find a spot at The Dubliner, an Irish Pub in the heart of the pedestrian mall.

Throughout the night I SMS’d a ton of friends here and at home. And there was one in particular who I was texting throughout the evening, ending with a phone call that was enjoyable.

And it was then, as I was speaking with my amazing friend (the only one with whom I spoke, so you know who you are!!) that I realized that I have many wishes for the New Year, yet specifically the closest one to my heart is

…a wish: that we all communicate more this year, that we establish closer bonds than ever before, for at the end of the day all we have is each other to love, nurture and support as life hands us her crazy twists.

Not too much to ask, eh?

I really cannot even begin to tell you how much it means to be connected. Some of us need it more than others on the outside, yet deep within we need to be connected. It is the very essence of human nature. That phone call last night made it explicit, in my face. And then I also realized that when the final hour tolls we really know who are true friends are, the ones who love us regardless and are willing to take us for who were are, the whole package. And that love can be inspired from many sources, and can have many faces—whether plutonic, romantic—you name it.

On the flip—is it easier for friends to do this? Could it be that there is an intimacy, a true and deep intimacy, that has less risk in friendship? Even so, isn’t that the very friendship that lifelong partners are supposed to be based, yet why are we so afraid in engaging this way with the ones we love? It does feel easier, or more safe, with friends… is it really easier to be open and vulnerable in friendship, and if so, why cannot it be carried into other relationships, no matter what the nature?

I am so thankful, appreciative and gratuitous for this person. And you know I usually never speak of anyone specifically in my blog (have done so once… and that person knows too). It is amazing that the simple acts of connectedness fuel the life spirit to go further, seek higher, and wake up the next day ready to kick some ass.

So with that, I am going to the office tomorrow armed with my coffee mug!

question: how do you take your java?

1 comment:

peder said...

with cream, no sugar ;o)

"why are we so afraid in engaging this way with the ones we love?"

Hmmm. If I knew that one I should write a book I think. Perhaps it starts out that way, but is lost in the everyday humdrum.

By the way - I posted a message to the guy at mindsmaymeet, you know the one. It started out a fine message I think but I had to cut away all the elaborate phrases one by one because he's limited the inputs to only 300 characters. Annoying at first but actually it forces you to say directly what you mean. It ended in a bit of a harsh comment. But what the heck, then perhaps it will create some response. Hope so, he hasn't gotten much of that.