28 December 2006

encountering bravery...

There are very simple things that we can do in our lives to make a difference, to open up others around us to embrace their being-ness so that communally in this world we can become beautiful. It takes a degree of strength as an individual to do this, to challenge others, for it requires us to open ourselves up to getting pot shots at our vulnerability, particularly when we are employing our gratuity and openness in regular company.

As I was driving to the airport in the US yesterday in NJ, there was a man walking with a backpack and a sign, visible from behind and in front, that said *walking coast to coast, talking about us, mindmaymeet.org*. I quickly SMS’d to myself the web address, so that when I got home I could look at the site. Upon reading the few entries in place, I realized that I was

…encountering bravery: someone who dares us to talk, engage as individuals, as human beings, to share from one being to another in conversation free of hesitation and judgement to make the world a better place

“…because I sense a great underlying sadness and bewilderment about our world. A great unspoken doubt about the wisdom of our official actions. And a vast silence where there should be a prominent tradition of discussion, spanning all cultures and classes, about the state of our great human objectives.” (from his first entry at www.mindsmaymeet.org)

I hope that I am not violating his aim by *glocalizing* his work, for he is shaping conversation, urging us to connect one on one, in the US by walking from coast to coast. I am inspired by his entries so far, he has a keen eye for the epicentre of the human condition as revealed in his words. His goals are similar to mine in the sense that there is a need to create conversations between us as individual beings to explore, implore and challenge ourselves to cross that silent divide and share, think, feel and act.

Yet his aims and how he is committing himself to make a difference are deeper and more profound—he feels that sadness permeating the human condition, he is deeply connected to the human spirit and he is brave to challenge us all—one on one--in a unique and selfless way. One physical step at a time across the US.

Hats off to the *unknown*. We all should aim to be as brave. We may not be able to demonstrate it in the same manner, yet however we do it in our part of the world, whether it be geographical or our daily surroundings, is what counts.

Please visit his site, open up, contribute, explore. E mail him with conversation at fellowhuman@mindsmaymeet.org. And please heed his desire to remain anonymous, as well as to not ask what facilitated his journey. Just be. That is all.

On the flip—what if there are some that lurk, unable to engage in the conversation? It could be that the pain inside is so hard to bear, that the mere thought of being the authentic self in the company of others is frightening, paralysing. Or maybe some just have nothing to say…

Either way, the *unknown*’s observation of the human condition, I feel, is spot on. There is an underlying sadness, somewhere, in all of us, and collectively it hums under the surface. We need connectedness with one another, it is inherent to our being, and conversation is the first step to healing and empowerment.

question: how are you brave?

2 comments:

peder said...

Some of us are talkers. Some are listeners. I won't call it lurking. You know - there are so many who have a lot to say that they tend to dominate the scene. No replies doesn't have to mean that no one is listening.

I know from myself that I sometimes do take on other peoples opinions after having heard them, and then reflected upon them. I know you do the same. And that is what we can hope of those "lurkers", that what is being said is also taken in even if responses are not too many.

In fact - often I think that people talk too much and listen too little. That is not a reference to you, because you do think about what you say, and you do listen :o) But you do talk ;o)

All the best to you Jen in the new year :o) It was great hearing your voice on new years eve, even if it was only over the phone.

ignorant bliss said...

I like your observation-- that no replies does not mean no one is listening. And I do need to practice being a *lurker* as well! I realize that I am a very social being, and sometimes when living abraod it is tough to maintain the social circles (especially here!).

And thank you too for a lovely chat last night! Happy New Year's! I look forward to our coffee breaks again!!