19 October 2006

monkey postulate...

Have you ever met someone who has the wickedest mind? Not wicked in a bad way, yet a creative one that seems to surpass most that we know. I like these kinds of people! And at times I too can get in the mood where that *wickedness* results in a

…monkey postulate: a question or an assumption, born out of humor and/or creativity combined with eccentricity, is posed to everyone and anyone who will listen, resulting in laughter and creative conversation as the responses roll in.

I have an amazing friend back home in St. Petersburg, Florida that is the princess of the monkey postulate. She comes up with some of the funniest, thought provoking questions that would make you laugh to the point it hurts. Sometimes they are just plain absurd, for the timing relative to the situation at hand is, well, let’s just say you would not expect it. Then you start thinking, putting things into a different perspective, and say to yourself *well, I have never thought of ______ that way before*, and proceed to answer. For example, you could be sitting down doing strategic planning, everything is too serious, and she would quip: “ok, which do you prefer… picking your nose on a subway, or farting in solitude and why…”

What in the world does that have to do with market share and pull through initiatives???

I have thrown one to an amazing person recently, and I did like the answer as well (my little secret)…

If you were a color in motion, what color would it be and what would you be doing?

Ok, I agree. Interesting, yes. Creative, I will give it that much. Stitch producing laughter, um, no.

A great one that stands out is from back home. It was born out of a Sunday brunch, which was held at my house on many occasions. A huge group of us would get together around 11am or so, start with the mimosas (my *Mom* always said the OJ was such a waste, we had good intentions of mixing it with half champagne, yet towards 2pm the OJ was never to be seen again as we sipped our “poser” mimosas). We had a waffle bar—all the toppings you could imagine, with fresh Belgian waffles laced with amaretto, cooking on the granite island. Then we had another friend making omelettes, with many freshly chopped veggies and the like to put in. And of course, what brunch would be complete without the Bloody Mary bar? At least 15 different things to choose to make the ideal, only acceptable hard liquor drink to be consumed before 5pm on a Sunday—broth, onions, capers, 4 different vodkas, hot sauce, olives, celery, spices, you name it—in the back corner of the kitchen by the double French doors.

As the mimosas quickly turned into glasses of champagne, the Bloody Mary bar starting to go into disarray and the *family* of about 10 are laughing at the table with NFL Football in the background, silence fell at the opportune time. Then a monkey postulate was thrown out of nowhere, when a guy asks my *mom*…

“If I were a vegetable, how would you eat me?”

Her response?

“I would peel you first.”

You can fill in the blanks from there…

I am still working on mine, I think I need a little help from all of you… so with that in mind, what can we come up with? Let’s share some laughter!

On the the flip—none. Today is a punchy kind of day. I have been up since 5am writing, er slaving away, on my thesis and I need a brain break. If there is a flip of any kind, it would be that sometimes we produce these thoughts when it is perceived as not the right time, yet some of us handle stress/bad situations/grief in our own way, hence snapping the emotions into play can be preceeded by humor.

question: what is your monkey?

2 comments:

peder said...

Boy, that was a long one. But not too many difficult words this time.

If you were a word, how many people could spell you?

Ok - I didn't laugh at that one myself :o) But it got me thinking about who gets you. Really. Except your mom perhaps how many people are around you that see you the way you see yourself? Or better, perhaps?

Me? 1. And mom

ignorant bliss said...

I think that is a WONDERFUL monkey postulate!

Wow... this is defintely a coffee chat one, and to post the result later.

I think my Dad comes closest, yet he is distant enough to be objective to a degree and asks thoughtful questions to help me grow.