07 October 2006

in doubt...

As I sit here babysitting a mild, very mild cranial reminder of hanging out with friends last night, I reflect on the wonderful time that we had together. Nothing like starting a weekend with about 20 people, of which you know only one, to find that there are such amazingly brilliant and kind creatures in this world. The human spirit is rather cool, is it not?

I know I have *ducked out* the past few days… let’s just say that the previous weekend had a few more revelations, growth wise, and sometimes it is best that we are silent in our thoughts as we move forward. It is rather wonderous that people notice it when you are in this state… co-workers and friends respond more gently, reflecting that they can feel where you are, only the subtle ways of their voice, gestures without changing their words. And at the same time you want to cling to something, someone, an idea, inspiration, just simply take action to get you through or to your goal, and you have to realize that at time it is best that when you are

in doubt: you should go without

for your motivations may be out of self preservation, the immediate need to heal, the urgency to give or the sheer joy of feeling life to its fullest.

I guess it is like *trusting the process*, in the sense that yes, we can make things happen if we put our minds and hearts to it, yet is the result genuine? Or is moving things forward with volition part of the process?

Yet when something feels so right, you have to take the dive, regardless of the consequences. You are ready to pay all tolls and fines. This reminds me of another nugget my amazing Dad has said over the years—never let the emotions lead the way. Whether a feeling of love, anger, joy or disdain, it is best that we take a step back. What if the *doubt* mechanism of logic is not there to maintain balance? What if the red flags at the cliffside are nowhere to be found?

We have all had this challenge, I am sure, for if we were indifferent that means we are not in the game. Maybe the key is to take a step back from an observational perspective, and see that there is a balance not in the minutia but over time.

question: when do you go?

2 comments:

peder said...

I just bought a second car. As you know :o) Until I pictured it being something boring not really worth driving I couldn't get the emotions out of my decision. So picturing this boring unexiting, slow, dull car, would I still want to own it. And when the quesion was yes - due to the fact that my wife and I would have a difficult time picking up our little one from day care - then I knew I needed the car.

I just thought of this after reading your words from your dad that you should take emotions out of your decisions. Not every decision I gather, but the important ones (like a new car ;o) Yes and no perhaps, because the consequence would then be that we at times would decide against our feelings. Is that right...?

So a question for you: When would you follow your emotions/heart and when your mind?

ignorant bliss said...

wow, good question! it depends on the situation--at work, where it is a degree more logical-- i lead with the mind. yet in relationships, the feelings are amazing, empowering, that it is almost a disservice to lead with the head. yet, to stay out of trouble, it is good to balance things between the head and the heart...