04 November 2006

create space...

I have to thank Aadie for sending an amazing entry, from a book in which she is reading, that made me rethink the silence of normalcy.

Quite a few entries ago we had a conversation on “blissful entropy” and how the inspirational chaos drives you to give all you have. We then chatted on how the *silence of normalcy* was the back to the routine kind of bit, a necessary yin to the chaotic yang. Yet what should we do with that silent normalcy, in addition to appreciating it, embracing it? The silent normalcy is our signal that it is time to

…create space: the needed silence to reflect

upon where we are, embrace those around us and in doing so is a step to becoming a beautiful being.
Maybe it was implied in our chat that we do the aforementioned, however what addie sent really hit it on the head in such a way that it made me think more deeply about what can be done during the silence.

addie sends this out to a few of us yesterday:

i read this in a book called Silence.
please take a brief moment to read this:

"In our rush to accomplish, we rarely create the spaces to listen, to
explore the gaps between events

And we find ourselves overwhelmed.

Times of silence reveal to us the equations that is made in our mind
between worth and activity.

When are not producing doing and acting, we feel deprived of any
evidence that we are a worthwhile human being.

Productivity, activity ,and busyness becomes the central vocation in
our life consuming our time and attention. Culturally, we have come to
measure value and worth by the evidence of what we do and accomplish.

[We often ask, "What do you do?"] How rarely do we ask, who are you?
If we cannot define ourselves apart from our credentials it is
difficult to understand another person in a deeper way."
--------------------------

On the flip—what if who we are is not so much defined by what we do, yet is rather the nature of who we are, meaning, what if we are drawn to stay *productive* for we like to give? Or is it that we may give so much that it may be a way to stay productive, so that we do not have to reflect as to why we want to give, what is driving that need?
I have been on that flip, I have answered the above questions over the last few months, and I continue to inquire within as to choices that I am making. And I will have to say, I have been more *silent* these past few months, been more reflective, and to be honest I am finding answers and reaching a degree of understanding myself that I have never done before. And I am so thankful, for now I realized why I wanted to give, and in embracing it I have changed to become a better being, still on the path, striving each day to be a beautiful being.


question: what do you hear during your space?

(thanks addie for sending this! you are an amazingly beautiful person.)

ps-- just finished flying over Greenland…heading to CT as we speak! Nothing like mile high blogging!

1 comment:

peder said...

Yes, I too believe that what Addie found in that book is something to think about.

And just think about it - don't you also like when people take an interest in what you have to say? This I have from a Sherlock Holmes story (I know - but they're great reading :o). Something like: You can be percieved as the greatest communicator by simply be silent.

Silence. A room where you are given the opportunity to listen, reflect, and perhaps discover new things.

6 7 7 7 6 6 6 6 5 6 5 6 6 6 ... oh, sorry - that was to go in the excel sheet :o)