05 December 2006

naked truth...

I am back, I swear! I have just finished my thesis, passed my exams and have graduated!! So now I have more time to dedicate to my thoughts and processes.

I was confronted with an interesting situation today. As you know I have a WONDERFUL coffee chat buddy that I spend time with at work. It is a much needed break, our banter is enriching, combined with work chat and life in general. What I like most is that he and I can speak of the

…naked truth: where honesty, openness and vulnerability are safe and welcome and the basis of our relationship

A plutonic one and that may very well be why we can speak to one another on this level. It is the essence of true friendship. Yet there are a few who are confusing our chats and friendship with what I have no clue. It was brought to my attention today.

What is the deal with THAT?! And why cannot the person who made the original comment to my amazing, beautiful boss not have that same honesty, meaning, why not just come to me? Why make assumptions? Remember to assume makes an ass of you and me (get it? Assume—ass u me… ok, I think we have it). Things like this, when out in the open without the opportunity to explore its truthiness, can change the dynamics of everything, including the very friendship that is navigating the political atmosphere of organizational life.

On the flip—what if those who do not partake in naked truth exchanges choose not to for they are jealous of the very friendship they see? What if it is that they are not strong enough to share? Or what is the motivation behind the comment anyway?

It is a dangerous thing for us to assume. Not only can we be off the mark in our observation, our very comments can out a change process into motion that was not intended, and one that can deviate from friendship. It can cause people to change the way they interact with one another, blunting areas of growth, dialogue and mutual exchange. In my book, it is rather defeatist. Yet I will have to give kudos to my everso amazing boss, for he is not afraid of the naked truth and is willing to move things forward. What a cool guy!

As for the coffee chats, they shall continue, yet know that it is known that someone else is misinterpreting the exchanges, it will be interesting to see how the dynamics of the friendship will now take shape.

question: what is your truth?

No comments: