16 October 2008

wired yet tired...

Yeps, almost weekend!

So today was a rather interestingly long yet short day. I spent the day fighting hypos to the point I went home to sleep it off. I popped on a continuous glucose monitor this afternoon as the safety net, which requires a calibration (via a fingerprick) every 12 hours. And, only after 2 hours after finishing a meal at minimum.

As I am writing this, I am ready to go lie down, for I am

...wired yet tired: not quite ready to go to bed, yet certainly not ready to rock out the eve.

Of course I long to grab a book (best sleeping pill!), yet as I have just got in from eating fab fondue with my colleagues, I have realised that I need to stay awake for at least 1 hour more (ie 1230am minimum!!) to calibrate again.

Why wait?

Well, silly me, instead of lugging the glucose meter along to dinner to check at 8pm (which means next calibration is at 8am tomorrow, with the reminder alarm going off at 7am, the time I know for sure that I will be awake), I opted to check after getting up this afternoon.

At 5:30pm.

Which means next calibration is at 5:30am.

Usually no prob, as I start my lazy morning of breakfast-tea-reading-meditation-writing-napping-read-some-more-oh-god-time-to-get-in-the-shower routine at 6am.

Yet my reminder will go off at 4:30am... crappy timing!!!

So I am at a crossroads-- stay up until at least 12:30am to calibrate, therefore sleep in if the mood strikes (or the body demands it)... or crash now risking a buzzing, screaming alarm at 4:30am.

Huh. Guess I better plan this better the next time around!

So weekend is almost here and it finds me taking it easy. Friday night is curl up with a book, thanks to Xavier for lending me book 2 of "The year in the Merde". I really enjoyed the first one! That and some wine. Saturday finds me moving my solo "sexy sunday brunch" to that morning, as Sunday will have me on the road to Dijon to hit the racetrack with my colleague Alex. I guess I could catch up on some zzz's then as Xavier is driving.

Or I could keep writing here to stay awake...

question-- how do you escape the wired?

2 comments:

Xavi said...

Hang in there !!

ignorant bliss said...

:)thanks! i decided to throw caution to the wind and calibrated anyway!!! CGM said 6.1 and fingerprick 5.1. woo hoo!