22 October 2008

ugh, it's the encore...

happy wednesday!

even better, it is topped off with rain and i am home sick...again!

i knew it when i headed out monday night. i was standing in the kitchen debating if i should catch up with my best friend Nikki. she arranged an apero at Darling and quite a few people were dropping out. i hate to fall back on my committments, try to avoid doing it at all costs. yet my body begged no, i debated it and countered with "only 1.5 hours". which i faithfully adhered to as it was my committment to myself and my body and was home in bed asleep by 23:00.

then at lunch yesterday it started to hit

...ugh, it's the encore: fatigue, swollen lymph and aches, with high blood glucose (while I was sleeping--what does my body need to do with a glucose of 190 mg/dL while sleeping??) hit again.

so i am home today, missing out on a training session.

i have taken it easy for 2 months. it could very well be that the first year here was a little overdone and my immune system is still fragile. the move and changes in my life alone were quite plenty, augmented by my throwing myself into work and travel.

or it could be that i am allergic to switzerland. :) seems plausible, as this is the third illness (in addition to surgery last summer) that i have had in less than 1 year while here. i did not get sick in denmark like this. took antibiotics for the first time in five years just last month. and we all know that i detest taking meds!! :)

i will have to say this, being single and sick is no fun! i can get pouty and bratty, and i know that is my way of saying "i need to be nurtured". hugs, kind words, a pat on the head usually pulls me out of it. i do miss that part (among many other things!) in a partnership-- love it when the other makes soup and cares for you.

so i pulled on my blessings and reached out to my friends today... they are so wonderful! albeit it was virtual hugs and pats, it helped tremendously. later i will call my dad when he is awake. and my new colleague Jennifer just called to see how i am feeling, along with the group at the training session that i am missing. that was a really nice surprise!

and i made myself soup, granted it was in a packet (too tired to make from scratch, as i prefer to cook and enjoy it...heck, do not have all of the ingredients). i have tons of soup all over the place for moments like these!! veggie, tomate, lentil. and usually i add fresh veggies as well, yet as i am out of veggies i had "naked soup". topped off with a piece of chocolate (not in it!! afterwards!)

now it is time to go back and lie down. i still have the book Xavi loaned me, luckily i have not plowed through it so it should last until tomorrow!

yeps, lie down, read, nap, eat soup, check e mail. rinse and repeat!

question-- how do you manage the encore?

No comments: