25 October 2008

long time coming....

The elections in the US are getting closer, about 10 days away.

For the past year, I have kept silent. Until moving to Switzerland, I was heavily involved in US politics. I did a bit of political writing and blogging, analysis for Daily Kos, and even contributed my time to key campaigns by travelling back to the US to help with 72 hour strategic pushes.

Moving to Switzerland I went through a lot of changes that required me to pull back and reduce whatever noise there was in my soul. I was going through many changes, some I anticipated because of my choice, others that I did not even see coming. My world was shook up, for better as I am growing because of this, yet nevertheless it is tough. Especially choosing to go it alone, yet I needed to. My spiritual health depended on it, even though at times I feel that I cannot do it. I am a better person each day for myself and the universe as I am more consciously creating each moment.

So this morning brings me to casting my ballot, reflecting on the elections, this past year, what is going on now and I decided it was a

...long time coming: so I got back into the political writing again just for the morning.

I posted a quick diary on being an American expat, change, the collective conscience and why little things by many is so important. What started it all was that I received a FaceBook post from the Obama campaign about reducing taxes in the US. I got a little riled, as we who are living abroad STILL have to pay tax to the US.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/25/44847/973/20/641709

My post was not solution oriented. It was not a rant. I am past these things to a degree. I have learned to let go of many things while learning to hold on to a few. I used to throw myself into the political ring with passion, angst and adrenaline to the point that I could not see. Now I step back and am gracious for what I have, and use quiet patience with everyone who I encounter as my peace.

So I need to head to the post. I have to get my ballot in today so that it is counted... in the state of Florida no less. I lived there in 2000 when the Gore/Bush debacle tore us apart. Ok, we let it, well some of us did. Many of us lost friends in that, yet the beautiful thing was that I found like minded people in the shake up and am thankful for that.

And in writing this, I have realised what brings me more joy. In the past, it was throwing myself full throttle into everything, being a part of the process by shaping it, leading it, pushing it, taking charge.

Now what brings joy to me is watching people enjoy themselves, it really brings a smile to my heart. Yes, I still participate, I like to view my role now in life as one who leads by being a facilitator/coach/supporter/observer, as it also brings me joy to empower people to a higher level of self.

I can still take charge and lead in this way, yet I find it more fulfilling as it feels that it comes from a center of love and wisdom, and empowers me to seek to understand first as opposed to being understood. Essentially, I have chosen this way of leading and taking charge of my life first-- and the rewards are wonderful!

And it allows me to surround myself with amazing people who have strengths and passions in areas where I do not. I love this!

Yet the icing on the cake, the sweetest part of it all (to me) is being blessed to see others enjoy themselves on their journey... I like seeing the essence of someone unfold in front of me and with me, the interactions when many come together.

I long no more to be the center. Instead I choose to float in the ether of beingness. Whether it be mine, with only one person in front of me and with me, or the world of many around me.

question: what have you abandoned for inner peace?

No comments: