16 September 2008

men, hvorfor ikke...

Sheesh, less than 48 hours and I am on a plane to Marbella!

who.would.have.ever.guessed.

I can tell you that I am ASTOUNDED (and for those of you who know me, we are in the same boat) that I am actually taking a holiday for me. Just me.

Hva'??????

I have battled the idea of doing something that I perceive as "selfish" for a long time. I have usually saved my holiday time to dash back to the US to do the fam thing (not doing that anymore, my life is here) or donate my time to key political races in the US (love it, too toxic of an environment, and to be honest, cannot detach).

To even consider sitting on a beach, alone, in a nice resort to focus on me in the past would have never been a thought to cross my mind.

So when my financial advisor came to see me last week, he sensed that I was under the gun. Not that work has been stressful, it actually has not, yet he sensed something was off key. Bottom line, I have not detached one bit since getting here. I have tagged work travel with hols, I really have not just "shut down". So he shows me this amazing resort in Marbella and afterwards I think

... men, hvorfor ikke: why not?

I have come to realise that doing, or rather choosing, to do things for ourself indeed helps us all in the long run. After all, if we do not take care of ourselves, how are we to move our energy forward with others?

Sooooooo.... a few clicks and a reservation at a tres, tres cool resort, I am leaving Thursday morning! Of course, the cheering of "do it, do it!" helped me along the way from Xavier. I wondered if he was as excited as I was! Well, once the bill comes in..... nah, skip it! :)

Yet to balance things out, I am also going to Portugal in November to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity to build homes in the city of Braga. So I am still tuning into the side of me that likes to give back to this world, the part of me that thrives on empowering.

Now the packing drama has commenced. Thank goodness my clothes are lightweight and my tennis racquet fits in the luggage (heck, I could too with my vertically challenged self, it would be less expensive to travel that way!). I am daring to fly with EasyJet (am an SAS brat, a gold card carrying one at that!) and there are so many restrictions. Ah well, c'est la vie/det er livet/es la vida!

No laptop/e mail/blackberry required. In fact, I may drop kick them into the sea.

(ok, maybe not, I was being brave there for a mo', yet to think of the look on my VP's face when I have to explain to where they disappeared...)

question-- when do you hvorfor ikke?



1 comment:

Xavi said...

Do it !! Now I remember, it is from the movie Starsky and Hutch (not sure about spelling.)

"Do it, do it, be yourself ! "