17 September 2008

detachment theory...

Youpi! Only 11 hours and I am on the plane to Marbella!

(heads up Elvis)... I can guarantee that I will not be posting while in Marbella as I have PLEDGED to not carry a laptop neither crackberry (blackberry) on my trip. I even flirted with the thought of leaving my mobile behind... yet alas, should their be an emergency or some-sort-of-drama, I may need her.

I will be honest, I am mentally checked out for the moment... for I have subscribed to the notion of

...detachment theory: the opposite of the psychoanalytical postulate of attachment theory

What is attachment theory, anyway?

I acquiese that this evening I am removed from the mood, and therefore offer to you the cheaters version on wikipedia. The bottom line is that in all interpersonal relationships, we form an attachment. The range and degree (whether it is the strength of the bond or the "healthiness" of said bond) depends on our lifeform (child or adult) and our environment.

(yes, smack me for skimping, yet I am following Polonius when he says "brevity is the soul of wit")

Basically, I am cutting off ties for a bit while in Marbella. Just for a bit though, as I do thrive on interacting with others, yet I direly need to recharge. I have not detached at all since being in Switzerland, and in fact, I am pretty sure that I have not in this lifetime as of yet.

So, I have packed my clothes, iPod and books (A Year in the Merde is there, thanks Xavier!) and my open curiosity to life. As mentioned in the previous post, this is a first, truly "only for me" indulgence and I am ready for it!

On the flip-- what if we are unattached to detach?

I can tell you, after going full throttle for quite a while, if we do not, we suffer. At least I have, and I almost hit a brickwall. Which, by the way, is no fun! Mortar is not forgiving!

My 2 cents are... inspiration and motivation are key to life and our being. And it is cyclical, in the sense that we do not have it at all times and therefore need to seek it out in alternative means. It, like all things, needs a tune up... hence Marbella.

question: how do you tune up?

2 comments:

Xavi said...

Looking forward to see the pics done with your brand new exilim !

ignorant bliss said...

that camera rocks! posted them on FB, albeit the caipirinhas may have skewed a few shots.....