17 May 2007

circle of...

Another significant day.

In September of 1996, I bought my cat, Azureluna, in Jesper, Georgia. I was living in Atlanta at the time, starting my life as a single woman. I brought him home and starting dancing with him to the Squirrel Nut Zippers, a New Orleans style jazz band from North Carolina. I would sing to him and swirl him around.

He has seen many boyfriends, husband, I always referred to him as the most consistent man in my adult life. And today I had to put him to sleep. So the

…circle of: life continues, orbiting peacefully onwards.

I think he knew that it was time for both of us to move on.

For the first time in my life I feel complete, unafraid, whole and healthy. He has been at my side all these years, and I think he instinctively knew that it was time. I finally had my heart, mind and spirit align about a month ago and I think he felt that I was just fine to go on alone.

As we got in the car today, I wanted to play the Squirrel Nut Zippers CD I first played for him when I got him almost 11 years ago. The CD is titled *Hot*, and his favourite song was *Prince Nez*. Then I remember I left it on my colleague’s desk back at work. And funnily enough, I mentioned to this colleague earlier in the week that I was going to the White Lamb this evening to see some good ol’ New Orleans style jazz live. The only place in town that has it. Thursday nights are special, for throughout the evening more and more people show up with their instruments. By midnight there are 16 or so pieces scattered throughout the crowd.

What a befitting way to celebrate the life of my little man, my Azureluna from Jesper, Georgia. Thank you for being a supportive and loving force over the years.

question: how do you celebrate?

No comments: